Monday, January 23, 2017

How to Edit your Jewelry Collection & Know When to Sell

GemGossip.com

My jewelry collection has gone through SO MANY changes this past year. As a collector, it is important to edit your collection no matter what it is that you collect. My ring collection, for example, has shrunk by at least fifty rings recently and normally this would freak me out, but I actually feel really good about this decision. I recently came across this photo of my collection and was astonished by how many rings I actually had. A more recent photo is shown above, and you can see the amount that has been edited. This decision has allowed me to refine and be precisive about what I like, allowed me to purchase items that I thought were out of my budget, and allowed me to grow my collection in a new way (even though I was subtracting from my collection). You might be wondering how you can do the same, so I've put together some tips and recommendations on how you can do just that! And as always, happy collecting!

1. Although I've never read Marie Kondo's The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing, I've spoken with people who have and read a few blogs about this decluttering strategy. A part of me fears this technique, since I live in a world where I love my things and have way too many things, while another part of me thrives off of getting rid of stuff. It is a never-ending battle--but just as Marie teaches in her book, you must take each item and ask yourself if it sparks joy? Do this with your jewelry collection! You'd be surprised at what items you've been holding on to for the most random reasons, and how they actually spark the opposite of joy. 

GemGossip.com GemGossip.com

2. Go through all your jewelry items and remove pieces that need repairs--these could be rings with missing stones, jewelry that you've always hated but wanted to give a "makeover" to, pieces that rarely get worn, or items that you've been meaning to convert into something else. Removing these from your main jewelry box will allow you to focus on what you have that is wearable and you often see things in a different light when there is less.

Once you've removed these items, put them in little baggies or envelopes and write on them what needs to be done to each piece so that you are able to love it again and wear it again. Is it a ring sizing? Write down "size ring to 5 to fit my ring finger" and then place it in a pile. If you're redesigning pieces you own, feel free to draw to the best of your ability your design idea.

Now that you have all your "repair" items, find a reputable jeweler that you know and trust. Hopefully you've worked with him or her before so you know what to expect and know their capabilities. Set a goal of dropping off 2-3 items per week until all your repairs are finally finished. You'll get momentum going once you've picked up your first batch of finished items--it's like getting a new piece of jewelry all over again! 

Gem Gossip GemGossip.com

3. Certain gemstones turn me off and you have to get comfortable with yourself as a collector to realize that. This means buying things at one time that you realize aren't for you or just simply don't like anymore. There are a few gemstones and gemstone colors that I'm not a fan of, but I used to be--colors that don't really go with my skintone or aren't pleasing to my eye as much as another color family. The point is to recognize this, either sell or repurpose these items to "edit" your collection, and then take the money you've made from selling these items to buy jewelry that fits within your new editing parameters.

GemGossip.com Gem Gossip

4. Trends come and go, but in the world of jewelry--certain trends stay longer than most disposable fashion trends. Also, like many trends, they can resurface several years from now and those items you "wish you had that you sold years ago" could be the next coolest thing. So, if you have a piece of jewelry that may be considered "trendy" but you honestly love it, but wearing it today may not necessarily fit with what you're wearing now--I would think twice about selling something like this! 

A prime example of this for me and my collection was the dainty jewelry trend (which is still actually very strong today). I liked this trend at first and it also fit with my budget a few years ago. I started gravitating toward bigger, bolder pieces and have never been able to look at a dainty ring the same again. I ended up selling most of my dainty rings and found that selling like five dainty rings could get me one bold piece, which was music to my ears. The bigger pieces bring me more joy and hopefully that doesn't change anytime soon! ;)

Another examples of this is gold chains. Growing up, I received a lot of gold chains from my grandparents as gifts from Italy. I went through a phase in college where I only wore this one chain of my dad's with a medallion of St. Anthony on it (my dad gave me both), so I sold every other chain I owned because I simply never wore anything else. Today, I would kill to have some of those chains now--there was some really cool pieces which now would be very trendy with the chain layering trend that is happening today.

GemGossip.com GemGossip.com

5. Knowing when, what and how to sell is a big task that has some complications here and there, but luckily if you purchased your items you want to now sell at the right price back then, it should be able to yield the same price if not more today. Jewelry is great like that because gold and gemstones are almost always valuable (I'm not talking about fashion jewelry or costume pieces). 

If you haven't worn a piece of jewelry for over five years, I think it is safe to say you should sell it--or at least ask yourself, why haven't you worn it?  Once you've gathered pieces that you feel ok with selling, now you have to figure out what platform you'd like to sell them.

Sites like eBay, Etsy and Ruby Lane are all great options if you have a large amount of pieces you'd like to sell. If you open a shop on any of these sites and you're not a formal antique seller, it is important that you state that in your bio/about section. There is a big difference between a dealer and a collector who has lots of items and just wants to sell them. Be open to making mistakes and allowing to accept returns if it is your first time selling. 

If you're a collector on Instagram and a part of the Instagram Antique Jewelry Community (idk why I capitalized that lol) then selling some items on your Instagram page is a fast and easy way to accomplish that. It is also fee-free, whereas with the sites I mentioned above take a fee if you sell through them. But this option is only as good as the size of your audience. Etsy, eBay and Ruby Lane have thousands and thousands of visitors everyday, whereas your Instagram page might be short of that number.

You can also TRADE -- I started the hashtag #gemgossipSWAP for those interested in posting items they're willing to part with and find others' who want to trade as well. I've personally used the hashtag myself and am now the proud owner of a ring I traded with someone.

 

xoxoGemGossip

WANT MORE? You won't believe what my jewelry box looked like 7 years ago



from Gem Gossip http://ift.tt/2jSQXD9

No comments:

Post a Comment